Arthur C. Clarke said, “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” I remember that every time I search for an old photo in Google Photos, filter an image in Prisma, talk to my Amazon Echo, or select a Smart Reply in Gmail. Machine learning is changing the face of computing, and faster than many of us ever imagined.
Machine learning is going to upend your industry and your product. (If you think ML is a fad, check in with someone who thought the web was a fad in 1998, or mobile in 2008.) Product managers need to understand the current state of AI, and the opportunities that machine learning and techniques such as deep learning provide for transforming your products and delighting your users.
With the help of some friends at Google I’ve put together this list of resources. I’m certain that this list is incomplete—if I left anything out, please let me know and I’ll keep the list of machine learning resources for product managers updated.
- “How Google is Remaking Itself as a Machine Learning First Company” by Steven Levy
- “A Visual Introduction to Machine Learning” by R2D3
- “The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence” by Wait But Why
- “Machine Learning is Fun!” by Adam Geitgey
- “Machine Learning: An In-Depth Non-Technical Guide” by Alex Castrounis
- “What Every Manager Should Know About Machine Learning” by Mike Yeomans
- “AI, Deep Learning, and Machine Learning: A Primer” by Frank Chen
- “Introduction to Machine Learning” course by Andrew Ng (highly recommended)
- “Machine Learning: Google’s Vision” video from Google I/O 2016
- “Hello World - Machine Learning Recipes” video series from Google
- “Machine Learning Mastery” by Jason Brownlee
- TensorFlow Tutorials from Google
- Visualizing Neural Networks by Daniel Smilkov and Shan Carter
- The Master Algorithm by Pedro Domingos
- Introduction to Machine Learning by Nils Nilsson
- Deep Learning by Ian Goodfellow, Yoshua Bengio, and Aaron Courville
- Data Science for Business by Foster Provost and Tom Fawcett
- Neural Networks and Deep Learning by Michael Nielsen
“These artificial intelligence techniques are the present and the future of Google, maybe of all technology. Maybe of everything.” — Steven Levy
Product Management Coach
If you're interested in growing as a product manager or product leader, I offer product leadership coaching. I've worked with everyone from new grads just starting their PM careers to experienced executive-level product leaders. Visit my product management coaching page if you'd like to more and to schedule a free discovery session.